Another day, another list… While watching To Kill A Mockingbird with the Red Queen tonight, I began thinking about the character names I believe are the BEST in all of literature. Here they are:
5. Boo Radley & Atticus Finch: To Kill A Mockingbird is a great book, a fine film and possesses many great character names. Scout, Jem, & Dill also rate well with me.
4. Phileas Fogg : Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne is among my favorite stories in literature. I’m also partial to Passepartout.
3. T.S. Garp: John Irving is a gifted writer and one would expect inspired character names from such as he. In The World According to Garp, Irving not only gives his main character a voice, but a name worth remembering.
2. Tom Bombadil: Quite possibly the most fun to say of any of Tolkien’s inventions. My favorite character in the Lord of the Rings books.
1. Queequeg: Herman Melville’s classic adventure probably has the most memorable names of any piece of literature to date. Of course, we shouldn’t forget Capt. Ahab, Starbuck and Ishmael who exist in a world as colorful as their names.
What are yours?